Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Access versus distribution

"The biggest challenge is making people aware that it (media) is accessible, that it's out there."

I'm finding this extremely relevant. We have a new school this year, and communication was the hardest challenge we faced. I had my students working on writing an editorial (in English class; I didn't have the newspaper last year) and I wanted them to find an example from our school's online paper. Around the room, I heard, "We have a newspaper?!"

Getting the word out about yearbook was equally challenging. I had parents calling me in May asking if they could still buy a senior ad for their student. The deadline was in December, and I had a hard time coming up with a polite response to that question. I had students rushing to me the last day of school, and after school was over, to buy a yearbook when the deadline had passed three weeks ago.

Students seem to whiz right passed posters in the hallway and on bulletin boards. Even announcements in the morning seem spotty since some teachers refuse to allow students to hear them. 

Here's the question: How do you make your students, parents, administration, community, etc. aware of what you have going on in your classrooms? What has been MOST effective or LEAST effective?

Sharon Northington
McCracken County High School
Paducah, Kentucky

No comments:

Post a Comment