Saturday, June 21, 2014

Because I'm app-y


I didn't have time Monday to go through my little presentation on Easy Multimedia: Phoning It In, but it will be in the materials you take home on your flash drives. Since I've yet to complete my three blog posts for the week I thought I'd take a moment to offer a little of what I would have said.

The embedded presentation above is from Photosynth, a free offering from Microsoft that allows one to create 360-degree representations of places. This one is of Sunset Point Rest Area, where some of you may have stopped on your weekend travels north. Is this something you could use when your school has a new building or to give people a neat look at some existing place or facility at your school? This one isn't easy, but it's fun.

iMovie is an incredibly easy and powerful app (only for iPhone -- sorry) that allows you to combine video cuts, incorporate photos, bump up sound levels and use some included sound beds. It has its limitations, including forcing you to accept cross dissolves between cuts, but I recommend it highly. The $4.99 price tag is worth it. Here's a project I was able to create in the time it took to ride a shuttle from Disneyland to our hotel.



Whether you purchase an app or use the one available with your phone's operating system, I recommend exploring panorama shots. They provide such an interesting perspective on the world. The shot below, of an approaching dust storm, is courtesy of Pano, a $2.99 app for iPhone, Android and Windows.


Steve Elliott
Arizona State University
Phoenix

2 comments:

  1. I wish the discrimination against Androids will end. I can't find either one in the Google Play Store. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace, the closest equivalent to iMovie is MovieMaker, but I'm not sure there's a phone app for that.

    Steve, I will have to play with Photosynth, thank you for sharing!

    Really, it feels like I downloaded about 15 new apps after this first week.
    Oh, wait, that's because I have.

    Stephanie Floch
    Taylorsville High School
    SLC, Utah

    ReplyDelete