Monday, June 23, 2014

Biscobing- Just reporting well


I was searching on the web for some more information on Dave Biscobing and found this video.  He isn't asking tough questions, but simply reporting well about an issue.  I think that the laws we talked about today mentioned reporting well as a defense for students - interesting.

After listening to Davie Biscobing today, it made me feel like running out to investigate some of the things I feel are wrong.  His life style seems pretty demanding though, so I think I will leave this work up to the professionals.

When we think of reporters, we often think about investigative reporters because they are able to truly give in-depth coverage of stories. Too often the news is short stories that just explain events.  In our experience here at ASU, I feel like the most beneficial and most deeply covered piece was not the breaking news story, but the in-depth piece and we had to think about and interview several professionals in the field.

When I teach journalism writing to my students, they often want to know about how to get scoops or how to break a story.  I tell them that it takes a lot of hard work and attention to detail.  I haven't been able to teach much on the subject though.  Listening to Dave gave me some real insights on what it means to d this kind of work.  I think I can better explain the kind of work required if students want to go into investigative reporting.

Kathryn Wilkins
Kearns High School
Kearns, Utah

1 comment:

  1. I agree that I felt like taking on the world today after Dave's presentation. I never knew the power that investigative journalists had to change law and fire police chiefs. I hope I am able to teach my students well how to handle the power that goes along with journalism.

    Becca Hargis

    ReplyDelete