Sunday, June 22, 2014

Borrow, lift, repeat


Alchemy from Henry Jun Wah Lee / Evosia on Vimeo.

In case anyone's interested, the video I scraped to create the two-minute drill is above. Titled "Alchemy," it's five minutes of Zen when I'm on deadline, dealing with bureaucratic headaches or putting off editing or yardwork. I'll listen closely in Mike Hiestand's session Monday to see whether fair-use rules cover how I handle it for classroom use (I think they do).

And while I'm thinking about how I lift this and that for sessions, I realize I've forgotten to credit Alan Weintraut for those two-minute drills. As soon as he discussed and used the 10/2 rule during an institute session, it became part of my bag o' tricks (if I've talked for 10 minutes, have the room talk for two). A Google search will bring up many resources on this.

We'll start connecting all of this to the classroom while you're finishing projects this week, starting with Alan's sessions on grading/assessment, staff organization/management and going online. Dan Gillmor, a leading digital innovator, will discuss media literacy. Steve Doig, a Pulitzer-winning data guru, will show you how to better use computers and the Web for journalism. Kristin Gilger, our associate dean, will offer a session on managing one's boss that she has conducted at The Poynter Institute.

I'm sure enjoying everyone's blog posts.

Steve Elliott
Arizona State University
Phoenix


2 comments:

  1. If you find mistakes in my blog could you rewrite it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve:

    You said in your last paragraph that "we'll start connecting this to the classroom this week." False: we've been building these connections the whole time we've been here. The one refrain I've heard - not just because I've been saying it myself - is that everything we've done can be used in our classroom.

    That aside, I use the zen focus technique in my AP lit class all the time. Whenever we have a piece of in-class writing, I always force them to "waste" 3 minutes just looking at the prompt, looking through the prompt, and zoning "in." Then, I have them get started writing. I'm not quite sure why it works - losing the time, increased focus, revving up their psychic engines - but it does.

    Thanks for the attribution on the video; I'll use it...fairly, of course.

    David Tow
    Terra Linda High School
    San Rafael, Calif.

    ReplyDelete