Monday, June 23, 2014

Confessions of a Hypocrite

Yes!  He is hot.  But between the drooling and the staring at David Biscobing, I took away from his presentation a new respect for journalism that before I did not have. 



Confession 1) When I took on the role of journalism adviser I was not that enthused.  I was teaching three classes that had state standardized tests, and my evaluations were tied into how well my students did.  So, if truth be told, I took on journalism as a way to relieve myself of being under the testing microscope all the time. 

Confession 2) I was also a little embarrassed.  I secretly didn’t want people associating me with “those” journalists that are pushy, snoopy, and downright annoying.

However, it is true that I didn’t want the program to end.  It is also true that I didn’t want the students to lose their only means of having a voice in the school.  But my motives were more dictated by selfishness rather than altruism. 

But after hearing Brian speaking today and watching his investigative reports, I saw the kinds of stories that have every right to be told.  I saw a journalist with integrity and passion who wanted to “kick some ass and take some names.”  I saw a respectful individual with feelings and compassion, not some power-hungry, aggressive ass that does not care whom he harms.

I saw hope that there are good journalists out there, people that want to effect positive change and solve problems. 


I saw me.  

Becca Hargis
Campbell High School
Smyrna, GA

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your honesty! Hearing from Brian was motivating and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, I completely felt the same way. I was so tired of state testing that I took on the entire journalism department. I was overwhelmed last year, and now I feel like I have the tools needed to manage all four publications and prepare students for the world of journalism. Brian's presentation truly was eye opening, and I agree that it showed a different side of the reporting with a definite respectful attitude.
    Angela Hobart
    Starkville High School

    ReplyDelete