Wednesday, June 18, 2014

DON'T MESS THIS UP, KID!

When I came up with the reasons I came to this institute, my list began with dirty hands - Our investigative reporting simulation satisfied that requirement in many ways.

1. You don't know what you know, until you know what you don't know. It was amazing how our group felt like we were ahead of the game so quick, and in the next interview, we realized that we knew nothing. I am humbled by the experience. I need to remember that, just because I feel like I have it together, doesn't mean that someone is going to come by in the next moment and remind me that I have much to learn.

2. Introductions are vital. Anita was kind enough to remind me that credibility starts with a name. Rookie mistakes all over the place! I am glad I am making them here, among colleagues who are both helpful and forgiving.

3. I am stealing ALL THE THINGS  from this institute - out of admiration and respect of course! Not only will this exercise be fun, it will teach my students all of the valuable lessons that I learned, and much more I'm sure, but it will also allow me to increase student and faculty support of our program. I plan on including the drama department, the costume design department, as well as the broadcast team. When all this goes down, I will be sending video evidence back to this institute.

I am glad I messed this up. Lesson learned.

Kristen Morey
Fremont High School
Ogden Utah

2 comments:

  1. We have a forensics class that stages crime scenes every year. I could totally team up with them to have us cover the story while the solve the crime. Maybe one of your science teachers would be willing to do something similar. Cross curricular, real life skills, and amazing array of Common Core standards--this was an amazing activity that we could all steal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen... Totally agree with this post!
    Kristin... What a great idea to to the crime scene with the science teacher. Everyone would love that! I'm stealing that idea for sure.

    ReplyDelete