Thursday, June 19, 2014

Don't rest on your laurels..

Just a casual 102 degrees in the PHX!
I went into the video sessions today knowing how to shoot and edit. Thankfully, video was a large component of my degree and I make fun GoPro videos highlighting prom and events, so I thought I knew my way around. Thumbs up. When it comes to putting a story TOGETHER, whoa now hold the phone.

And, there is no amount of good shooting or editing that can string together something from nothing

We have a few seconds (literally) of B-roll, and a few good snippets of interview. We spent a lot of time fixing faulty equipment and desperately searching for an angle. I think we also rushed WAY unnecessarily. We will have to go back out on Sunday and get some more footage to use as "glue" to connect the pieces we got today. I am really happy with where we're going with it now, but we definitely didn't go out with a plan. It's definitely a challenge to put a story together without voice-over! I learned A TON doing this project - and it's not even anywhere done yet!

Question: I watched a few of the projects from last year and they did have voice over. Were the requirements changed or did they do it wrong? Just wanted to make sure that wasn't allowed. Because that would make it A LOT easier! ;-)

Also - I hope I wasn't the only one that smelled like a kindergarten classroom after recess when we got back. LOL

Katie Moreno
Seven Lakes High School
Katy, Texas

1 comment:

  1. It's your call on a voice-over. The accompanying text can put video in context.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete