Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Every cloud has a silver lining, and red ink

Darn that crafty Steve Elliott for planning today's writing session AFTER we had given him hard copies of our institute publication stories. Why? Because I committed not one but two of the mistakes he told us to avoid.


No-no No. 1: Non-crashing meteor use of impact


No-no No. 2: Weak transition using agreed

I was able to correct these errors to my story on the SNO site, but it was too late to print Steve a corrected copy. (Thank you, Dana Savage, for the offer to distract Steve so I could do the ole story switcharoo!) 

But it's not all bad. For one thing, I'll never make these mistakes in my writing again. And better than that, I have guaranteed red ink on my story! I'm feelin' the love already!

Ginny Miller
Tupelo High School
Tupelo, Mississippi

4 comments:

  1. Excellent. Pulling your story to the top of the pile for special treatment.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect nothing less, Mr. Elliott.

    Ginny Miller
    Tupelo High School
    Tupelo, Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny,
    I love your post because it puts you in the student seat, which is where we need to be. I learned so much from Steve's direct comments, and I am going home a better writer than two weeks ago. I still have lots of work to do, but there is progress. Being a student has reminded me of what my students need from me. I need to make the corrections like Steve made on your paper and stop writing letters to students that take a lot of time and aren't direct.
    Tracy Anderson
    Community High School
    Ann Arbor, Mich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginny,
    I just wrote you a long post, and then I got the unhappy face - maybe a lost connection? I loved your post and connected to it. I learned a lot too from Steve's direct feedback. And the feedback never hurt. I wanted it and needed it. I am definitely going to give feedback differently this year. No more long comments and letters to students that dance around their writing issues. I am going to use Steve's format, and their writing will improve.
    Tracy Anderson
    Community High School
    Ann Arbor, Mich.

    ReplyDelete