Friday, June 20, 2014

InDesign with training wheels

I'm no Luddite, but I am challenged when it comes to technology. Just ask my students, who tried not to snicker at me last fall when they taught me how to tweet. Or my daughters, who don't attempt to hide their mockery of my painstakingly slow texting skills.

That's the backstory to Day 5's technological adventure: learning InDesign.

Alan Weintraut 's teaching method was well suited for this beginner. He demonstrated each skill three times, which was quite helpful. (I won't name names, but Jerry Miller should have been in the advanced class. Showoff.)


The page I created wasn't perfect, but the class achieved my goal of a basic understanding of how newspaper pages are designed.

Me with my finished page.
Ginny Miller
Tupelo High School
Tupelo, Mississippi

7 comments:

  1. InDesign, like any Adobe program is kind of terrifying at first. Honestly, all I can say is that it gets easier the more you play with it. Also, shortcuts! Those are a HUGE help. Then again, even a year into using it, I'm surprised at all the new things I learn from my students every production week.

    You got this. Cheers!

    Stephanie Floch
    Taylorsville High School
    Taylorsville, Utah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steffi has a great point about learning things from the students. If it weren't for the one kid in my class who had dabbled in InDesign last year, I might not have had a print publication at all this year. Now that I have produced a couple of issues, I am comfortable feeling my way through the program. Kristy, our presenter made a very valid point - the grand majority of people who use these programs only use an incredibly small portion of the actual program. InDesign is so terrifying because at first glance, it seems like you have the whole thing in order to be proficient but that is NOT the case. YouTube tutorials got me through my first couple of editions.

    Kristen Morey
    Fremont High School
    Ogden, Utah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Steffi and Kristen, for your encouragement. I'm going to watch some tutorials, learn the shortcuts and practice, practice, practice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginny, in my dinosaur days I used Pagemaker and Quark. I was self-taught on those programs and decided this time I would learn from experts. You really have to play in the program to fully use it, but Alan was showing basics that I would not have learned on my own. That part of about losing your "links" would have saved me hours of misery because it happened on a major catalog I designed in Pagemaker.

    Jerry L. Miller
    Sparks High School
    Sparks, Nevada

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have a pica pole at home, so let me applaud your first step into InDesign awesomeness.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU for your use of "Luddite!" I use this all the time and end up having to explain the meaning to people. :)

    Lisa Biber
    Brodhead High School
    Brodhead, Wis.

    ReplyDelete