Monday, June 23, 2014

Investigative Journalist or Crime Fighting Superhero



If reporters were superheroes, the obvious choice would be Wonder Woman (lasso of truth, people). As of today, I'll settle for Dave Boscobing. I don't mean to gush; it's really not my way, but I was so impressed by his presentation. He represents the fearlessness and tenacity that journalists have to have if they want to effect change.

More seriously, though, Boscobing's persistence clearly gets him great stories, and many awards. From the outside it might seem as if this kind of reporting comes easily to him, as it would to a superhero with x-ray vision or a sword of power (the last one is He-Man for those of you born after 1985). Clearly it doesn't really work this way, and this is what I need my students to understand. They really honestly think good ideas will come to them when the truth is they have to leave the computer lab and go look for them. I would love to see my students' faces when they hear he averages 30-50 phone calls when he's working a story.

To be fair, a couple of my students have done some decent investigative (or at least in-depth) reporting, but it's the rare student who has that certain confidence and drive to do the research, to do more than three quick interviews. I want to find ways to let my students do this kind of reporting. I will use Dave's session to inspire them, but I will also be more flexible about deadlines for students who want to pursue this kind of reporting. I could really use some suggestions about what you all have experienced with letting a student follow a story long-term. I also welcome superhero related comments.

Shannon Kuehmichel
Berlin High
Berlin, Wisconsin

2 comments:

  1. I, too, was incredibly impressed, not only with Boscobing's resume and highlight reel, but by the force of personality he clearly brings to his work. Journalism has a purpose and role as an agent of change in society, and Boscobing is a believer. The Valley is lucky to have such a journalist in their midst. I intend to use his videos to teach my students about the power a journalist can have in a community.

    -Travis Durfee
    Watkins Glen Central School District
    Watkins Glen, NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boscobing's fearlessness was so inspiring. I want to learn to be more persistent, yet respectful. By the time he finished talking, I wanted to find something that needs to be better and report on it to promote change. Thanks to Dave for the great presentation.

    ReplyDelete