Monday, June 23, 2014

Investigative Reporting 101












Before today, I wasn't really interested in investigative reporting.  For me, investigative reporting was synonymous with an image of Geraldo Rivera and that picture steered me away from learning more about investigative reporting.  What changed my interest? Dave Biscobing.

Biscobing is a passionate investigative reporter ready to take on the world.  Today, he gave us a peek into his role as an investigative reporter. Biscobing walked us through a news clip featuring him on the job as he questioned workers about alleged corruption at an Arizona mental hospital.

How did he know there might be a story at this hospital? An anonymous tip was sent via email. Biscobing doesn’t have a specific blueprint to follow. "There is no road map," said Biscobing.  He relies on tips to get him started and curiosity to drive his investigations.

After a second video news clip, Biscobing passionately described his daily work routine.  He spends time searching and retrieving public documents, making phone calls and determines whether a tip is worth following.  He accomplishes all of this while remaining objective as he attempts to expose injustices.

This session changed the way I looked at investigative reporting.  My students would benefit from exploring the role Biscobing owns every day.  Not only would their critical thinking skills sharpen their ability to effectively speak and listen would improve.

Biscobing is now my new synonym for investigative reporting.

Silean Eaves
School Without Walls At Francis-Stevens
Washington, D.C.


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed his lecture. I, too, associated investigative reporting with the shamelessness of Geraldo Rivera, but as I said in my blog post, Biscobing taught me that journalists like him can have integrity and honesty. I will definitely be paying more attention to investigative reporters from now on, This is a good blog post. Well done.

    Becca Hargis
    Campbell High School
    Smyrna, GA

    ReplyDelete