Monday, June 23, 2014

Is this going to be graded?

For me, the hardest part of teaching journalism is the grading. All the other stuff, though difficult, is challenging in a way that is exciting, interesting, and real. The grading, on the other hand, is just plain tough.

In the past, I have found myself just grading in what I saw as the easiest way possible: completion points. Was the story written? Yes? One hundred points for you. No? Zero points for you. Very clear and very straightforward, but lacking. 

After today's afternoon session, I am inspired.  

Alan's multiple rubrics for different types of stories are going to give me the ability to push my students' writing to a new level. I am excited to set high expectation for stories and have them write those stories with an aim toward great writing, not just meeting the deadline.

Bobby's Google Form with questions for a self-assessment is going to transform how I gain feedback. I can't wait to ask writers to rate their editors because often this past year it was the editors who were the weak link in getting stories ready for publication.

And if you happen to know any students who will be in my journalism class next year, don't tell them but their final exam will look a lot like the one David showed us today. I had been having them write what they learned, but I think with questions like the ones David proposed, I am going to get a better, and more honest, reflection on the semester.

In the end, I'm not at all sure what I'll do next year, but I do know that I'll tweak what I've done in the past and hopefully keep moving towards something better. Thanks to everyone for sharing as it was in the conversation and flow of ideas that I found myself getting a bit, just a bit, excited about grading.

Kari Koshiol

Benilde-St. Margaret's
Minneapolis, Minnesota

3 comments:

  1. Blarrrg, I love the title of your blog post, and yes, that's the sound I make when my kids ask me that question. "How many points is this worth?" "What's my grade now?" "What if I don't do it?"

    I really love Google Drive, and I'm also interested in exploring its use as an assessment tool next year as well. Grading is such a hairy, stinky beast. I hate grading. I understand ASSESSMENT, but I hate giving kids points just to motivate them to do something. I did talk to my classes this year about how if they do a half-ass job on something, they're not showing me what they really know or are capable of. They seemed to get that, but I still struggle with having to grade e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g in order to get kids to do it.

    One idea I read recently was from my favorite English guru, Kelly Gallagher. He said he doesn't collect work from the unit until the very end. He collects it all in one packet, but he only grades two pieces: one piece the kids can flag themselves as demonstrating their best knowledge or ability, and the other piece he chooses at random. This seems to cut back on how much paperwork goes across his desk. I'm aiming to try this next year.

    Lisa Biber
    Brodhead High School
    Brodhead, Wis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari I totally agree. This past year I struggled so hard to get by that if they turned in their work they got a completion grade. I really want to inspire these students to be better journalists. With those high expectations it will take work on the front end.

    Getting some of the rubrics for grading and actually following through, will be the key to my students and my success.
    I currently use Google Drive, but not in the capacity that Kristen and Bobby discussed today, so it would be interesting to learn how to check the edits and so on.
    Alan was talking about students not having many options for electives. In my district Journalism has it's own track. Students have to take Journalism I, and a beginner design class before they can take photojournalism, yearbook or newspaper. I think this gives me an opportunity to reach more students and get more that know how to write before they get to the newspaper.

    Divona Phillips
    Irving High School
    Irving, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! Grading and assessment can be such a battle. I'm grateful for all of the tips and tricks shared today. Thanks Alan et. al. for sharing your resources!

    ReplyDelete