Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Jeopardy changed my point of view

My friend Max watches Jeopardy, religiously. He shouts out the answers. His lanky body slumps as he laments over participants incorrect answers and he pumps his fists like Tiger Woods in their triumphs.

I do not share his enthusiasm.

Dave Seibert changed my mind about this.

His business card says he the Senior Multimedia Producer at The Arizona Republic/AZCentral.com, and he is also a generous instructor.

Seibert's Basics of Digital Photography session included Jeopardy, but it was not the trivia you would expect. Participants including Director Steve Elliot and Alan Weintraut explained photo terms and techniques often relating to specific photo examples.

Back lighting has never been a go-to for my students. An image of a dog going after a tennis ball changed my mind. My students will be using this to their benefit next school year.

An image of Sally Meyerhoff was included in the presentation. She was a graduate of the high school I teach at. She died tragically and suddenly. As he shared her story, I was brought back to something he said earlier.

We must have a way to backup and organize our images.

I almost feel it is an ethical obligation to the legacy of the programs we are building. When I think of the principals of ethics, I can't help but draw connections. Legacies lie in our hands.

Krystin Pinckard
Mountain Pointe High School
Phoenix, Arizona






1 comment:

  1. Krystin-
    I agree with your statement that it is our ethical responsibility to backup and organize our images. As I consider how I would do this in my program, there are a few issues that are sticking points for me. I wonder: How do I build and organize this system? Who do I give access to? What would happen if I were to leave my current position? How do I make sure that this archive survives my time, my tech person's time, my principal's time at Arvada West?

    Annie Gorenstein
    Arvada West High School
    Arvada, Colorado

    ReplyDelete