Monday, June 23, 2014

'Kick some ass and take some names'

Dave Biscobing, a Cronkite School graduate who works as
an investigate reporter: “I got into it to kick some ass
and take some names.”
Dave Biscobing's inspiring talk got me thinking about some of my favorite watchdog stories through the years. Common to these stories is the lack of my byline; I was the editor on each.

Back in 1993, supremely gifted AP Wausau, Wis., correspondent Bob Imrie followed up on a story I spotted in the Stevens Point Journal. A fellow described by authorities a "serial predator" had been sentenced to prison for molestation. The story mentioned he was a substitute teacher in the local schools, though that role wasn't linked this offense, and that he had a long record for molestation. Over the course of a few weeks, Imrie learned that this person kept his state teaching license even though he failed to answer a yes-or-no question on the application asking whether he had been convicted of a felony (he had) and even though he once renewed his license while in an Illinois prison for molestation. Those were just two of the lapses. The day the story ran in the Milwaukee Journal, The New York Times and many other newspapers, Wisconsin announced mandatory criminal background checks for teachers. I don't know if I agree or disagree with those checks, but I was glad officials took a critical look at what happened. Here's a link:

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1993/Wisconsin-Renewed-Molester-s-Teaching-License-Despite-Lies-Omissions/id-15fadf1cac079f40a38d900b74a74425

Here are some others by Cronkite News Service reporters through the years:

I often say that while the 5Ws/H are important reporters shouldn't underestimate the importance of WTF. Always ask: Did this have to happen? Are those elected to represent us and those they hire doing the job we need with the money we give them?

Watchdog journalism is critical to the republic, and I'm pleased to see organizations such as ProPublica, California Watch and WisconsinWatch taking up the charge as mainstream news organizations adapt to the new financial realities.

Steve Elliott
Arizona State University
Phoenix


1 comment:

  1. I like your piece of advice, asking if something had to happen. I'll keep that in mind for the fall.

    Also, many creeps come from northern Wisconsin.

    Lisa Biber
    Brodhead High School
    Brodhead, Wis.

    ReplyDelete