Thursday, June 26, 2014

Little Junior

I am so happy I got to work with Travis for this project. We didn't really get a chance to say what we learned before we showed our video, and so I thought I would share that now:


1. When shooting B-Roll you need to stay on an object for more than one second. I had a problem when filming that I would frame the shot I wanted for B-Roll and then I would move on quickly. This made a lot of our B-Roll unusable.

2. Develop hand signals before you start filming. One of the reasons why we didn't show Little Junior talking is because you would've seen a floating hand and microphone. In the end I was happy with us justing having a voiceover with B-Roll of Little Junior smoking, but if we didn't have that footage we would've had a floating hand. I think if Travis and I came up with hand-signals before I could have motioned for him to move his hand away. Then again, I probably could've just gestured for him to do that. Maybe hand signals wouldn't be necessary

3. The Dash bus is free and you don't need to buy a bus pass before.

4. Not everyone is going to say "yes" to interviews.

5. Editing really is trial and error. Sometimes you just have to try a bunch of different things.

Dana Savage
Innovations High School
Salt Lake City



4 comments:

  1. I loved your video. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana-
    Your video was great! That opening shot--wow! I really enjoyed reading this, and will definitely keep what you talked about in #2 in mind. You didn't have the shot you wanted but you had great audio and where I would have been really frustrated, you found a fantastic way to make it work!

    Annie Gorenstein
    Arvada West High School
    Arvada, Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video was awesome. I felt like I was there helping you interview. Great techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My students call DASH "the crazy bus."

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete