Thursday, June 26, 2014

#SocialMedia #GetOnBoard





Of all the conversations I'm planning to have with my principal within the next few weeks, the introduction of social media (as it is connected to my journalism class) might be the toughest one to have with her. I think there's a fear in bridging the gap between teachers and students, putting them one degree closer than with just email connectivity.


Despite this, I feel better about discussing this topic with her after listening to Robin Phillips' presentation about social media journalism. I'm now armed with real facts and resources (not just my own persuasive tactics) to prove that there's a real value in having Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc., in the classroom. I've already tried to establish some sort of credibility with a professional Twitter, one that I can keep separate from the school and link it only to myself, and I'm hoping I can show her that, as well as the video that Robin showed us earlier. It was amazing to see the statistics out there that justify why journalism and social media is a true communications partnership.









And I cannot forget to include Kari's succinct introduction to SNOsites in those talks. I feel even more prepared to demonstrate just how possible it will be to take journalism to the next level - if and when I'm allowed to bring a newspaper to our school.

Image above from Google search.
I know that my principal would make room for me in the budget; that's never been my concern. But I like having solutions for any issue I might have ready when I speak. Something as cool as an online newspaper would not only promote our product immediately, but if we teamed with our literary magazine and yearbook, too, we could all cut our paper budget and use the funds that are so graciously granted to us a bit more wisely. Not only would my principal benefit from this information, but I think I'd also like to clue in my English department chair on these ideas, as her backing would only serve to help me in the future.



I'm not sure what I'll start with, to be honest, but I know that I'm ready to "put my money where my mouth is." And I couldn't have said that before these last two weeks at the Reynolds Institute, so for that, I'm grateful. If all goes well with these conversations, the only thing I'll have left to figure out is what cool hashtag I'll use for my class.



#WishfulButOptimisticThinking





Laura M. Medina

Montini Catholic High School

Lombard, Illinois


2 comments:

  1. Laura:

    I completely agree. I for one feel like there are now so many new tools that even this 32-year-old can't totally grasp on to. I suspect that since the media landscape, whatever that is, is shifting so quickly, that now is the opportunity, since we have the familiarity, to get on board.

    Full speed ahead, socially that is.

    David Tow
    Terra Linda High School
    San Rafael, Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm scared about this whole social media thing, but I'm excited too. The students will definitely be my teacher on this one, but it would be crazy to ignore it.

    Terry Sheffield
    Roy High School
    Roy, Utah

    ReplyDelete