Tuesday, June 17, 2014

United Sucks. Reynolds Rocks.



I promise, after this blog post I won't mention my horrible travels again. Truth is, I don't remember who I have already told and I feel like I've repeated it so much already. But anyway, all that matters is that I made it here in one piece. Finally.

Sorry Steve, but yesterday, despite my valiant attempts to take a liquid nap via Starbucks, I was pretty groggy all day. The sessions were fab, (especially the simulation) but I was running on a jet-lagged 4 hours of sleep.

BUT - Today. Was. Awesome. It rocked my white girl socks.

I come from a design/marketing background and it's the language my soul speaks. So, aside from taking J1 when I was in 9th grade, I've never written a story in my life. Let alone a news story. Let alone a REALish news story. (9th graders generally suck at writing and I'm sure I was no different...) However blogs -- I could write like I talk all day, err day.

I was being a big baby this morning when Steve was talking about what we were going to have to do and I was all worried that I would be that girl starting at a blank screen at 5:45 with nothing to turn in. But, his coaching TOTALLY helped!! All that J1 came rushing back and I was able to crank it out. It totally, definitely wasn't perfect but I think it was coherent?

Divona's Sour Patch Kids Red Berry Gum helped, too. And my Gushers.

But mostly just paying attention (also fueled by that liquid nap), and just simply focusing on the task at hand. I realized that I totally underestimate how hard it is for kids (read: anyone) to just stop and pay. attention.

However, I must say - Times New Roman does ANYTHING but soothe me. I very much dislike it. But that's ok - we can agree to disagree, AP Master Steve.

I'm completely new to teaching. Not even fully certified yet. I know graphic design and photography. I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about writing/journalism/reporting, let alone how to teach it. This institute is such a blessing for me to be able to attend and learn from.

Because let's be real - I'm not going back to school again. Haha!

I'll always be a student though. A student of life.

>> Katie Moreno
>> Seven Lakes High School
>> Katy, Texas

Katie from Katy!

1 comment:

  1. That's the spirit. While journalistic ethics (transitioning to this afternoon's session) prevent me from agreeing or disagreeing with your United observation (I may have to cover United along the way), thumbs up for your observation about the deadline exercise. The point is to do it, not to do it perfectly -- learn those tough reporting/deadline lessons that only painful, stressful experience can provide. Couple that with feedback and the opportunity to rewrite, learning happens in a newsroom or at a journalism institute.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete