Thursday, June 26, 2014

Weintraut Wisdom

My brain was not ready for the assault of information we've received.

Alan gave us a lot of really great resources we can put to good use.



This is a compilation of some of the things I've learned from him:

  • Publish video content on Vimeo. 
  • The most important web content needs to be above the scroll
  • Putting stories into context is important, especially in the reporting phase. The internet is a world-wide platform and the content they push out will be there forever.
  • Downtime activities are essential. Reading a classmate's story and leaving a comment is something I will use next school year.
  • Sitemaps need to change with the students' strengths.
  • Just like a yearbook, your site should look like your school.
  • Judges want to see long form stories.
  • Feed off of students' rituals: throwback Thursday, transformation Tuesday.
  • Consider packaging news subscriptions with the yearbook.
  • Keep things fun. Pulitzer Plates sounds like a lot of fun.
  • Brand and be consistent with it.
  • Kids remember what's in your syllabus. Make it positive.
  • If you want your community to engage, get your paper to the community.
  • The best newsrooms are comfortable.
Most importantly, stand for what you believe in. 

Krystin Pinckard
Mountain Pointe High School
Phoenix, Arizona

4 comments:

  1. How does he do it? Seriously. So impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan's publications are enviable. Seriously. If I could have worked in a newsroom like that when I was in high school, I think I would have been better at my first online news job. He prepares students for what is to come and evaluates them on the things that an employer would, but more importantly, he's teaching them the values of good journalism and great media. At some point in our time together, he mentioned that we're not just teaching students, we're teaching adults, and I think he's right. They might be young adults for now, but soon enough, they'll be out in the world, taking the things that he's taught them, said to them and modeled for them, and they'll be using it. I am excited to take these Alan-isms into my classroom and eventually into my newspaper.

    Laura M. Medina
    Montini Catholic High School
    Lombard, Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan Weintraut is a composite character ASNE created to model the dream journalism program. He is played by Biff Rodenbacher, an adjunct professor of interpretative dance. Punked you all. Great job, Biff!

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  4. All good things come to an end. Now that I've been outed, I am available for future trainings of all dance forms. #foxtrotanyone?

    ReplyDelete