Friday, June 20, 2014

1 + 1 = 3 and a touching tribute
We visited the Arizona Republic today and inspiring mentors shared insights. When asked how best to prepare our students, we learned journalists with insatiable curiosity get hired and keep jobs.
Convergence failed in some news rooms but is a success at the Republic where multi platform news staffs have a synergistic relationship. The poster on the news room wall revealed their secret: work hard and be nice.
Of all the highlights today, one image stands apart from the rest.
A tribute to investigative reporter Don Bolles caught me off guard and I paused.

Thanks, Don.
Pam Shapiro
Pueblo Magnet High School
Tucson, Arizona

1 comment:

  1. Don Bolles is the reason I became a journalist. He was assassinated around the time I became a paperboy delivering old Phoenix Gazette, the Republic's now-closed afternoon sister paper. I learned then how powerful and important journalism was. When I had the chance to intern at the Phoenix Gazette and work in the same building where Bolles worked (it's still there -- immediately west of the Republic's new building), I'd see his picture and feel inspired to try to carry on his legacy.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete