Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Beg, Borrow, Steal...Revive

When I was in college, one professor mentioned during a semester-long course on assessment (fun, right?) that 90 percent (edited for AP style) of teaching is begging, borrowing, and stealing. I never forgot that. In fact, that statement made such an impression on me that I am probably the most willing resource in my building. Anytime I find something neat, helpful, interesting, whatever, I immediately tell a bunch of other teachers in my building about it. When a coworker verbalizes stress over a similar issue I've faced in my classroom, I chime in some ways I've attempted to deal with the problem, even when my methods haven't worked 100 percent of the time. I truly believe that teaching is a profession of collaboration. We all have the same mission: to provide our students with the best possible skill-set they need to succeed beyond our classrooms.

One of the reasons I've enjoyed the daily ins and outs of this institute is that we've all had such a unique opportunity to collaborate on more than just journalism education. I've already picked up on dozens of small ideas that I can't wait to try this fall. I never have the attitude that I know more than anyone else, even if I have more teaching experience. I can honestly say I've learned something from every conversation I've had over the last few days.

This spirit of collaboration is just the refreshing boost I need at the end of every school year. Like many of my fellow young educators, I tend to end the year feeling a bit disheartened and disenchanted with my profession. Yet another year has gone by that my state has changed evaluation and licensing requirements. Yet another year has passed in which I've jumped through a series of endless, repetitive hoops. Yet another year has passed, and I still haven't cleaned up the sticky tape on the wall from the teacher who vacated my room three years ago. I find myself getting lost in the drudgery of the end-of-the-year paperwork. I find myself getting frustrated by useless evaluations that offer me no constructive criticism to help me improve as a teacher (seriously, how many more times can you tell me I'm organized and knowledgeable?). I find myself disgusted by a group of seniors who stop working before the school year even begins because they think they are entitled to a year of shenanigans.
Reynolds Institute fellows following along with another engaging lesson

But what picks me up every year and brings me back? Talking to other ambitious educators like you. I love hearing about what you are all doing at your schools. I love learning about your districts, your organizations, your classes. Just reading your biographies makes me want to jump back in and be an even better teacher for another year.

So thank you. Thank you for letting me beg, borrow, and steal from you as you all share ideas that will help me shape my new journalism course this fall. But mostly, thank you for reviving me. This was just what the doctor ordered...well, that, and for me to get out of the air conditioning (sorry to those who had to sit next to my sneezing and sniffling all day).

Lisa Biber
Brodhead High School
Brodhead, Wis.

3 comments:

  1. I refuse to edit for comma issues...OXFORD COMMA FOREVER!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I'm right there with you. This institute and all of its wonderful participants are a plethora of amazing tips, tricks, and ideas. It's even helped me find new English resources (Thank you, David Tow and Travis Durfee!).

    Also, I'm sorry AP, but the Oxford Comma shall prevail. GO, TEAM OXFORD COMMA!

    Stephanie Floch
    Taylorsville High School
    Taylorsville, Utah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, amen, amen. I used to worry that if we shared too much with each other, kids would complain about doing the same activities. I realized that most of the time they don't notice or remember. And even if they do repeat, bonus. They'll learn it better.

    ReplyDelete