Thursday, June 26, 2014

CNTV gets social!



Robin Phillips shows social media that high school students prefer.

“The Internet is a conversation.”-Robin Phillips 

I think that it’s time to extend my show's conversation. My students are addicted to social media just like most teens. I realize that if they are having conversations in person about their conversations on Twitter and Snapchat, Coyote Nation TV should be a part of that online conversation.

Last year I was unable to brand my program on social media for several reasons. I didn’t have time to create it since I was creating curriculum on the fly. I didn’t know how I wanted to manage it considering the risks I could be taking. Overall, I was outright fearful. I couldn’t trust any of my students to manage it and I didn’t have the time to.

My students asked for me to develop a social media platform for CNTV. But their reasoning wasn’t for promotional purposes. They wanted to defend themselves against their peers. Their peers fearlessly criticized their daily show on social media and took control of the conversation and our brand before we did. My students were right. We should’ve taken an active stance on imaging ourselves to balance out the backlash.
This year I want to be proactive. 

Thanks to Robin Phillips, I know exactly where to find my audience. I would hate to spend time on platform where my students are not frequenting.  Twitter will be our first weapon for choice.

The first step in conquering my social media fear is to create a social media contract. If I have a contract signed by the student, the parent and myself I feel like the task becomes more of a responsibility than a liability.

Candace Bagwell
Heritage High School
Frisco, Texas

1 comment:

  1. Candace, I was afraid too. We did start a twitter account, but I was doing it all wrong. Robin really made social media make sense for me, in the context of our publications. I am excited to have the Paw Print and PackTV follow Coyote Nation TV! I will be having my students watch your broadcast for inspiration (because they have an AMAZING teacher) as well as offering any suggestions that have worked for them. Collaborating with you is going to be bragging rights for me. I am so glad we became friends over the last two weeks. Even if we were unable to keep in contact (which isn't going to be an issue), I will treasure our time together forever. When you come out to get some snowboarding/skiing lessons, I would love to show you our school and our broadcast studio. I will get a video tour to you asap! Much love my friend, and safe travels this summer!
    Kristen Morey
    Fremont High School
    Ogden, Utah

    ReplyDelete