Wednesday, June 18, 2014

One Word or Several

Day 2 was in one word
1. frustrating
2. inspiring
3. challenging
4. fun
I didn't say it wouldn't be a list of single words lol.

This experience so far has been great as a whole. While I initially had my doubts about attending due to the timing of beginning the Reynolds Institute and the end of the school  year back in San Diego I am glad I decided on coming. The knowledge, support and experiences we are all receiving is not only a life experience but also an eye opener for those of us who either are considered on of the best at our respective school sites but also learning a whole different facet of writing (journalistic).

I've already realized that journalistic writing is not only just telling a story but has different parts to it...much more than an essay or composition. I think it is about telling a story thru your words but keeping in mind that you will not just have one reader but a whole diverse community of readers and keeping in mind that it is the words I use must be used sparingly, descriptive and accurate enough that the audience/readers will feel as if they were there.

It is not only eye-opening but also a reality check. I mean this writing is frustrating - I've spent my career fine tuning my teaching and knowing how to write to the point that while I don't consider myself a master I do consider my writing to be acceptable.
But journalistic writing has placed me back at the level of a "boot" (military jargon for a just minted, fresh out of basic training Marine). I feel lost in what I am writing given that our first story piece was due within a 2 hour time frame. I thought that the only part that was possibly acceptable was the lead but I am probably wrong. And the rest of the story. . . well in using a quote from the film "My Favorite Year" - ". . .what smells (snif, snif, snif), it's coming from this script, it is coming from this script. . .it stinks!!"
It was frustrating enough that I needed a chocolate fix as well as a couple of pints in a local pub with several new friends.

Now while the feeling hasn't been all that great after the first couple of days it has been inspiring and challenging for me. I am motivated to learn this new type of writing and hopefully by the end of the institute I will have at least a basic, rudimentary style in writing journalism stories.  I have a very long way to go and I know that the only way of getting better is by writing and writing and writing. I haven't felt like this since having a professor in my second masters' program telling me I didn't know how to write and then actually having to, what I still feel and believe, dumb down my writing to make her happy.  But this institute is by no means anything like that experience. I am been challenged to write and think in  a whole new way, of seeing things differently, and in telling the story so that the reader can see what I see. But this is again coming from  a novice and I may be completely wrong. Only time will tell.

But it has been fun because I do see things in a way that is not negative but "fun". Why sweat the small stuff or any stuff at all. Things will work themselves out just as I know that while the path for the next several days will be tough going the end of the mission will be accomplished and will lead to better and greater things when I consider why I am here and how I will use all this new information and new abilities.

Luis Gabriel Senteno
"Cyrano"

No comments:

Post a Comment