Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Learning Is Quite An Experience










Despite my limited knowledge of using a Mac and zero knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, I felt proud of myself for navigating through the Photoshop session with some success.  I'm certain my learning experience mirrored the experiences of many of my students every day in the classroom.  There were moments I needed clarification, more time on task and even a little one on one instruction. Was this the teachable moment I needed to reflect on my own pedagogy?

Although I have some familiarity with working on a Mac, I had to laugh at how many times I couldn't find folders or pictures I was working on during the instruction.  The mention of using short cut keys was something I dismissed immediately.  After all, I was just getting the hang of locating items on the dock. It is a dock isn't it? Here's a new word for my word wall.

My evening assignment was right on time. Applying what I learned in the Adobe Photoshop session was just what I needed.  Similarly, students need time to practice what they were taught. I managed to successfully crop a photograph of Chris Callahan, Dean of Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and submit my photograph on time.


Experiencing some success at the end of the day and acknowledging more practice is needed,
defines what learning is all about.  Something to consider as I head back to plan for next year.

Silean Eaves
School Without Walls At Francis-Stevens
Washington, D.C.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you said about students needing time to practice what they've been taught. I feel like there's so much pressure to cover "the basics" in our classes that we can sometimes forget how important it is for students to apply what they've learned. This institute has definitely done a great job allowing us to do just that. It's a great model for my classroom!

    Lisa Biber
    Brodhead High School
    Brodhead, Wis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Silean. I forgot to mention in my Blog that I had never touched a Mac before yesterday:)

    ReplyDelete