Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Designing Media

Looking at all the samples of newspaper layouts, took me back to my good old college days. When I first started out at Michigan State University (had to get that in one post, told ya big fan). I majored in Advertising. We examined seemed like a million of print ads. I actually forgot about even the little, tiniest things can change your layout. 

I truly loved how passionate Tracy Collins was when talking about type. The spur, serif, stem, ascender, descender, baseline and mean line. He truly knows his print. After today I think I will be looking for the perfect kern on signs now.

His tips where funny, “Don’t be seduced by the Hobo!” And, “Unhappy, gappy.” They were a few of my personal favorites.

I enjoyed the background information about USA Today changing the newspaper and it looking like a Denny’s place mat. Now if I can just remember all the design elements he talked about when we start our first issue in September.

I just have to remember, “The designer is the Sherpa.”

                                
                                *After the Reynolds Institute is over, 
                                                                  I'll be looking for Elvis.

Shelley Job
Hanover-Horton High School

Hanover, Michigan

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Shelley nice job (pun intended). You managed to get Tom Izzo and Elvis in the same blog. If you need a Sherpa, in your quest to find Elvis let me know. I have connections at Area 51 (I have actually been there).

    Jerry L. Miller
    Sparks High School
    Sparks, Nevada

    ReplyDelete