Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Serif, apex, and type, oh my!

Until today I had no idea how much I could enjoy learning about the elements of design. In fact, before this morning, I knew nothing other than the definition of "sans serif." Now I feel armed with the necessary language to talk to my student about what elements of design work and what elements of design don't.  Here is a small sample from my upcoming Design Dictionary:

  • Hyphenation Setting: The setting where you can prevent your deck from hyphenating the words at the end of every line. 
  • Color: The thing you should use as an accent, not as a background.
  • Headline: Those large words at the top of the page that you need to kern, not stretch or pull or otherwise manipulate.
  • Font: The style of type you choose. You will not choose Hobo or other fonts not in our publications guidelines. 
  • Photo: Usually the dominant element on the page. (Note: You should have a good photo that pays attention to light, composition, and emotion.)
  • Newseum.com and Newspaperdesigner.org: Places to look for inspiration.
  • Sherpa: The designer who uses appropriate design elements to guide the reader's eye down the page.
  • Red Tie Issue: Design elements that some people will like and others will not. (Note: If you and I encounter a red tie issue, my opinion trumps yours.)
  • Tracy Collins: An amazing designer who offered to critique our page design so we best listen to what he has to say!

Kari Koshiol
Benilde-St. Margaret's
Minneapolis, Minnesota

2 comments:

  1. Kari,
    Thanks for compiling this list. Tracy was funny and powerful.
    He got me at his first line when he described himself this way: "I pump you full of sugar and use profanity."
    Then he proceeded to teach us about "what sucks and how to make it less sucky."
    I also appreciated that he keeps and ideas folder.

    Pam Shapiro
    Pueblo Magnet High School
    Tucson, Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much appreciate Tracy Collins' presentation today. I have virtually zero experience at building pages, but I think I do have a pretty good sense of what looks good and what doesn't. The problem is, I don't know how to articulate that. Thanks to Tracy, I'll be able to give my students' pages a more polished critique.

    Ginny Miller
    Tupelo High School
    Tupelo, Mississippi

    ReplyDelete