Thursday, June 19, 2014

First Amendment

I absolutely loved hearing from Ken Paulson this morning. He was energetic, encouraging, and such a pleasure to hear from. I am still in shock having learned that so many Americans, myself included, no so little about our nation's history. I'm inspired by his words and I will be sharing much of the information I learned today not only in my journalism course, but in my other English classes as well. Paulson's comments on the lack of information on our school campuses was not only surprising, but scary. I've since started to think about the recent uproar over the Common Core and how many are concerned with these standards taking over the schools, yet, nobody seems that concerned about the lack of knowledge we (as educators and a nation) impart on younger generations.

How can that change?

Did anyone take electronic notes of his presentation this morning that you wouldn't mind sharing with me? I took a few notes on paper, but would love more notes from this morning. Thanks!

Corie Shields
Classical Academy High School

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I really wanted a teeshirt! Part of me is embarrassed as well. My Dad was a city commissioner for 12 years and always had me involved in some election. I remember walking door to door with him campaigning for office. I remember making political phone calls for the union. So yeah--- why didn't I know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why Ken comes to our institute and is so generous with his time: He knows that as teachers you are best positioned to get young people off to the right start when it comes to understanding their rights. So glad he comes every year.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete