Thursday, June 19, 2014

Consuming vs. producing

Cherita Smith takes a picture of TV Production Manager Brian Snyder.
Since we're required to post about the sessions we attend, I've not been surprised to see people typing, tweeting, and taking photos in class. But I have to admit, it has been a little disorienting for me.

If I'm involved in a live person-to-person social interaction with you, and I take out my phone and start using it, then I am telling you that you don't deserve my full attention.

I have a hard time thinking of this as not disrespectful. I had a hard time taking out my phone when Ken Paulson was speaking. I got goosebumps during that session; I'm not going to be the guy looking distractedly at his phone. Ken Paulson has my undivided attention.

I'm getting over it, at least within the context of the institute, because, of course, we're reporting on these sessions, and the speakers know it. As much as I want to be a student and focus my whole attention on the speaker or on the activity, my role as a reporter is to process what's happening and share my take on it in a timely manner. That involves more diversion of my attention from "what's happening" than I'm used to. I've tried to postpone posting, to work from notes and comment later in the day, but seeing all the posts and tweets published so quickly, I start feeling like I got scooped, like it's old news by the time I get to it in the evening.

Obviously the idea is to put us in the role of producers of news and commentary rather than mere consumers. It's exhausting, but I appreciate that the institute is structured this way, like a news cycle.

I wrote a few news stories during the past school year to provide some models for my students, but one of my goals for next year is to be a more consistent reporter -- not only because it enhances my credibility with students, but also because the work is so varied and stimulating.

David Strom
North-Grand High School
Chicago, Ill.

5 comments:

  1. Honestly, I have a real tough time checking a laptop with my eyes, posting a tweet with my thumbs,and listening to a speaker with my...let's face it, the ears are tuned out by then. I tweeted while Brian was talking today and I felt rude. I thought at any minute he might call me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I don't have a I-Pad or small laptop to take to those sessions and seriously have the worse phone in the world. I try take notes by hand still, but realize I miss part of the quote. I just some of us are still "old school". I am going to update my phone when I get home though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I feel so disrespectful looking at tweets, Facebook, and taking photos. I don't do well at multi-tasking. I missed out on some of Ken's lecture yesterday because I was concerned about photos. I wonder if my students can multi-task on their phone as well as they say they do.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photo. With the exception of Gregory Favre, our closing speaker, things are wide open when it comes to social media and laptops during sessions, though I do frown on writing blog posts during sessions (big difference between tweeting and taking notes vs. writing what amounts to a little news article). I direct speakers to the hashtag, and they enjoy seeing the tweets. They are used to it. During the AP style session yesterday my phone started vibrating repeatedly, making me think I had a call. It was push notifications from Twitter alerting me that I'd struck a chord with the "zits" comment. It was feedback that I could use mid-session.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear, hear. If I have to pull my phone out during a social interaction, I usually apologize and explain, "My husband needs to know ___" or whatever is urgent enough to warrant my attention. The first day of the institute, I logged on to Facebook and Twitter, but as soon as Steve started talking, I darkened all of my screens and gave him my undivided attention. Then, like you, I noticed people pulling out their phones to take photos, live-tweeting, etc. It's been difficult for me to adjust to this mode for the last week, but it's also been a valuable lesson for me. However, when I get home, you definitely won't see me on Twitter in the middle of one of my grad school classes.

    Lisa Biber
    Brodhead High School
    Brodhead, Wis.

    ReplyDelete