Monday, June 23, 2014

Going beyond the First Amendment


Michael Heistand breaks down student press rights under Tinker v. Des Moines


Last week I learned just how much I didn't know about the First Amendment and how important it was for my students to understand those specifics. To add insult to injury, I realized during today’s session just how my ignorance of major student press cases affects my student’s reporting practices. 

While some fellows found Michael Heistand’s presentation a simple review, the information I consumed was new knowledge.  The Tinker and Hazelwood decisions are two foundational cases that are vital to the function of my growing program.  When most of my peers mentioned the cases in examples throughout our previous sessions I didn’t understand just how it applied to me.  Now, Heistand’s presentation made it all too real how administrators can harp upon my students’ desire to report on things around them.

At times I find it challenging to get my students to look at their school with a critical eye. Some of my students prefer to do the surface stories about events and classes while a handful of my students aren’t afraid to ask the hard questions and dig a little deeper for the why. This is a behavior I fully encourage and try to reproduce.  Through this curiosity students can educate and inform their student body in an engaging way. But when controversial issues come into play, I can’t help but to think how the decision reached in the Hazelwood case would halt their efforts.

Heistand’s presentation made it all too real how administrators can overpower my students' First Amendment rights based on such subjective matters. Determining what can be considered offensive journalism can become quite fickle especially when it runs the risk of exposing the school's indiscretion.  Now that I have a better understanding of the power and legal challenges within student publications, my brand new Law of the Student Press textbook will become just as worn as my AP Stylebook within the upcoming weeks.

Candace Bagwell
Heritage High School
Frisco, Texas

4 comments:

  1. Candace, you are not alone. I realized today that allowing my principal to have prior review of our student newspaper is actually causing more harm than good. I can't wait to get back home and discuss my students' First Amendment rights with him.

    Ginny Miller
    Tupelo High School
    Tupelo, Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just glad that I now have a book and an organization to call. I didn't realize that a resource like that was available to me for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way during this session, Candace. I had not heard those cases before, and it is just as eye-opening as last week's information. Although I'm not going to be doing newspaper in the coming year, I see down the road that I may have it again. And this information does apply to yearbook, as well. Great photo, by the way!

    Sharon Northington
    McCracken County High School
    Paducah, Kentucky

    ReplyDelete