Friday, June 20, 2014

Good, right? Now Write Good.

I feel like this one has been coming for a while. Steffi's query, Steve's lead-writing techniques, our Callahan critiques—each reminded me about what initially piqued my interest in journalism. Well, secondarily, really (all those free CDs and concert tickets I received while working at my college paper got me through the door). But once bittenafter I saw my first byline above something that I had wanted to saymy thoughts soon shifted: how can I do this journalism thing in the most inventive ways possible? Indeed, where does creativity fit into journalism, Ms. Floch? I wanted to know, too.

I cut my teeth in journalism at an alt weekly. Fresh out of college I stumbled into a newspaper that granted me degrees of freedom as obtuse as my understanding of the responsibility I had been granted. I wrote a my fair share of standard city-council stories, complete with inverted-pyramid leads and nut graphs. But mostly I had the freedom to kick around, read ravenously and learn to write. Some influences inspired more than others.

Tom Wolfe's so-called “New Journalism” was novel. I loved the use of literary techniques in narrative nonfiction. I read Gay Talese's “Frank Sinatra has a Cold” and wanted to trail my sources for weeks on end. 

The Esquire cover of the issue that featured reading Gay Talese's famed profile of Frank Sinatra.


I studied the “intimate journalism” heralded by for Washington Post features writer, Walt Harrington. Jon Franklin's “Writing for Story” provided concrete applications for applying traditional literary terms and techniques to journalism and nonfiction writing. I was inspired and I wrote my brains out.

Perhaps you read some of these and share what you can with your kids. Maybe they will write their brains out, too.

Well, sure... you may say. They might. Or, more likely than not, we will all return to our schools to argue with that surly sophomore throwing her third hissy fit of the semester as we again deny her pitch for an op-ed on, like, you know... how some people dress, and stuff.

Okay, perhaps narrative nonfiction is a tough sell in the high school journalism classroom. But, I tend to think that my newspaper thrives in that storytelling niche, out of necessity, really. Since, as a monthly publication, we will never be timely my writers must stretch to add value to the community in another way.

But don't take it from me. The fine folks at Owl have some sound advice for advisers, especially those who work with students who want to push the boundaries of creativity and invention within the realm of journalism:

One way to incorporate literary journalism into an introductory or intermediate level course is simply to have students write personal essays first. Then the students can go back and research the facts behind the personal experiences related in their essays. They can incorporate historical data, interviews, or broaden the range of their personal essay by exploring the cultural or political issues hinted at in their personal essays.”

Try giving them samples of creative nonfiction attempts. The “Best of...” series is a great place to start. The Best American Magazine writing includes beautiful work and the Best American Nonrequired Reading offers plenty of fun selections, often chosen by U.S. high school students through the lovely 826 National programs.

Banksy's cover art for the 2009 edition of The Best American Nonrequired Reading anthology.



So there it is and how it be—one humble journalism adviser's thoughts on developing creativity and journalistic integrity in your students. I'm interested in hearing how other advisers help their best and most creative students produce quality work. I bet Steffi would, too.

Travis Durfee
WGHS
Watkins Glen, NY

2 comments:

  1. Travis, you rock! Thank you so much for sharing these resources, they are putting an entirely new spin on my model text approach.

    You all are just such fabulous resources, I want to hug you.

    Cheers and many thanks!

    Stephanie Floch
    Taylorsville High School
    Taylorsville, Utah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your perspective and these resources, Travis.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete