Friday, June 20, 2014

A Little Less Terrified

The first day of the Reynolds Institute was long and tiring, but it brought some comfort, too. Everyone here has strengths and weaknesses in their journalism-teaching repertoire. Learning that on Monday was a relief. After meeting some of the other participants on Sunday evening, I thought the institute had made a mistake inviting me to participate in this esteemed workshop. I teach my students to take big, scary projects and break them down into manageable pieces. I've read through the agenda several times, and it seems to have been broken down in to manageable pieces by design. So for now, I'm going to try to breathe, stay sharp and enjoy the ride.

Kelly Gastman

3 comments:

  1. Agreed! I felt pretty overwhelmed on day one, but after learning so much about all of the computer programs and the topics, I feel much more comfortable here and in my ability to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The psalmist says to make a joyful noise, not a perfect song. The learning is in the effort, in working beyond our comfort zones. Thanks to everyone for diving in.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are feeling a little more at ease. We are all of different program levels, and it is comforting to see that the classes have accommodated it so well. Bravo, Reynolds Institute.

    Bobby Oliver
    San Pasqual High School
    San Diego, California

    ReplyDelete