Friday, June 20, 2014

An Early Morning Exploration















There are thousands of issues to explore every day. Thanks to Ken Paulson, dean of the College of Mass Communication at Middle Tennessee State College, I explored the First Amendment.  The engaging manner in which Paulson guided this interactive exploration, modeled an effective strategy to review the First Amendment with my students.  Paulson made me think about what I already knew and expected me to discuss my prior knowledge within designated small groups. 

The question response format gave me an opportunity to hear what other members of the group were thinking and create a group response to each question.  Paulson took the time to clarify misconceptions and provided us with the correct answer, accompanied by anecdotes.  For many of us, this exercise stimulated our brains early in the morning.  Starbucks met its match.

We began our exploration by identifying America's basic freedoms. The First Amendment guarantees Americans basic freedoms, yet we struggle to recall them. The first challenge was to write the five freedoms Americans possess.  Sounded easy but no one in my group could name all five. Our basic freedoms are speech, religion, press, petition and assembly. Like a few others in my class, I neglected to acknowledge Freedom of Petition.

My exploration allowed me to encounter the exposing of Betsy Ross, George Washington's thin skin personality and a powerful Civil Rights' statement made through music by Janis Ian. Every part of my exploration enlightened me and prepared me for the next level of planning for my students.


Silean Eaves
School Without Walls At Francis Stevens
Washington, D.C.
.



2 comments:

  1. Ken Paulson is who I want to be when I grow up -- passionate, wicked smart, down to earth, generous. He comes here every year for only a plane ticket and a place to stay overnight. And he's always a highlight.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His passion came through as he spoke. Based on his session, I've already sent planning ideas to my colleagues for the upcoming school year.

      Delete