Thursday, June 19, 2014

USA Today and Everyday


On or around September 17, 2014 we celebrate Constitution Day. This is a day schools across the country are suppose to celebrate American Democracy. 

Since Michigan schools can't start school until after Labor Day, this day always seems to be thrown together last minute. Often you will hear teachers complaining about not knowing what to do. The State Bar of Michigan have designed educational plans and classroom activities that teachers can use. 

Today Ken Paulson's presentation fired me up. Yes, it is true sometimes we don't know as much as we should about our freedoms.  After today's quiz from the professor of mass communication. I realize I need to do more. 

Prepare for this day ahead of time would be a start. Making an interesting multi-media presentation would be nice to prove the point about not taking our freedoms lightly. 
I thoroughly enjoyed Paulson's presentation even though I didn't land a tee-shirt. But, it gets you thinking, that journalism class is great place to get that message out. 

This year I participated in "Learn the Address" project. Ken Burns and others made an effort for people to video record themselves reading or reciting the Gettysburg address. We posted several of them on the web site along with the President Obama and some famous celebrities. My students laughed at times but ended up posting several videos. Anything to get them thinking about our great Country. 

This year I my need to step it up a bit.  You might just hear a few bars of "Louie, Louie."

Shelley Job
Hanover-Horton High School
Horton, Michigan



3 comments:

  1. I loved the Louie Louie trivia today! I have never done anything for Constitution Day, but after today's lesson, I think some first amendment trivia will be a great way to engage the kids in thinking about the importance of our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

    Annie Gorenstein
    Arvada West High School
    Arvada, Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you. I think more schools need to have this discussion with their students about how much knowledge they know ( or don't) at the beginning of the year. Once that is done, the there can truly be more opportunities for genuine discourse. Additionally, this right needs to something talked about all year.

    Laura M. Medina
    Montini Catholic High School
    Lombard, Ill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Ken inspired you and others. I bring him here a little selfishly, as I enjoy hearing him as much as anyone in the room and always come away fired up.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete