Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hot outside and we are so lucky!

So we spent maybe an hour outside today filming our story. I was dying. I was so hot and wanted to complain badly about it, even though I know it gets worse here in July and August. We interviewed the owner of a tree removal company and got shots of his crew working. And that made me feel so bad about complaining. I cannot even imagine working outside in this heat for 8 hours a day. I felt sweaty and gross after walking around in a dress for an hour.
These men wear more clothes to protect themselves from the sun and keep their sweat from evaporating. This seems counter intuitive to me, but the owner, Jerry Delay, explained why it works. They were gracious enough to let us video tape them while they worked.

I guess my take away from this is that I feel lucky to be in the position I am in and grateful for the opportunities that I have had. I also feel grateful that I live in a much cooler location with less harsh summers. And thank god to whoever invented air conditioning. No wonder Phoenix didn't truly begin to develop until the 1950's.

Kristin Garletts
Rio Rancho High School
Rio Rancho New Mexico

1 comment:

  1. I experienced the same thing Kristen. Those men were outside working so hard in the heat I kind of felt sorry for them. However, I remembered I was also out there working just as hard. LBS

    ReplyDelete