Thursday, June 26, 2014

In another life

Jillian and I look awfully professional, don't you think?

Back in college I wrote a story for the Associated Women's Students for the campus newspaper.  I didn't really know what I was doing so imitated what I had read in the local paper. The story ran and an editor from the Signpost called and asked if I would like to write for the paper.  I thought that was weird, laughed and said no.

I wonder what might have happened had I said yes.

I'm glad I said yes when the administration came to me in 1991 and asked if I would be interested in taking over the paper.  I'm glad I said yes when they asked me again to take over the paper last August.

I'm especially glad I said yes when I saw the email about the Reynolds Institute.  I didn't think I would actually be accepted, and like some of you, wondered if it weren't some kind of scam.

It's been an uncomfortable, challenging experience.  It's been exhilarating, humbling and edifying. It's been something I will never forget.

In another life I might have majored in journalism.  In this life I get to teach it to teenagers.  I'm so lucky.

Terry Sheffield
Roy High School
Roy, Utah

2 comments:

  1. Terry, you are a talented lady! What if scenarios are fun, but I think your last comment hits it on the head. We are so lucky! I am excited to get back to the grind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's been an uncomfortable, challenging experience. It's been exhilarating, humbling and edifying. It's been something I will never forget."

    Perfect. I couldn't say it any better.

    ReplyDelete