Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Journalism Geeks, Unite!

There's a pretty good chance I've written some cheesy things in my life, mostly in diaries, old MySpace posts (don't laugh at me) and in sappy text messages. I prefer to say things instead of write them down, as anything on paper is incriminating evidence for the future, but I don't want to mess this up: I have enjoyed every minute of the Reynolds Institute.


When I came across the famous tweet that brought me here, I was certain that I my chances for an invitation were slim. It wasn't for a lack of confidence, but rather, I didn't think myself worthy of such a prestigious spot. I figured that there were other teachers and advisers more knowledgeable and more deserving of this opportunity. Instead, I have found myself among a mix of experienced and rookie journalism leaders, eager for the same knowledge I desire.


Before boarding the plane on June 15, I imagined every possible scenario for this experience, and the truth is, I couldn't have put any of this into words until I walked the walk of a Reynolds Fellow. More importantly, I eased any fear I had about my being the only "journalism geek" within a 50-mile radius. I've haven't exactly been around pro-journo people like this in a very long time, so I worried that I might be the only one with such geekery tucked away. What I found instead were 34 other nerds - and a variety of professors (Steve, included), mentor teachers, and industry professionals - with the same such passion. I'm privileged to be among all of you, to learn from you and teach you. And please know that my use of the words "geek" and "nerd" are all with a kind tone.


My journalism-loving heart is thrilled at the work you're doing in your classrooms (I have seen Corie's and Tracy's amazing publications, and I wish I could have seen everyone's). I'm excited for the fledgling programs like mine (Becca and Dana, I'm looking at you!). I'm impassioned for the progress of those newspapers and yearbooks that are already so distinguished (Travis and David Tow, rock on!). And for everyone else I haven't named, know that I have learned so much from you as educators and leaders in your field.


I didn't expect to write this blog (I like to stick to the rules of blogging based on what happens in our sessions), but it hit me during Steve's latest presentation on writing tightly that we're nearing the end of these amazing two weeks. We're going to have to take what we have learned and make something of it all.


I should have made my writing more succinct tonight, but to be fair, how can you really contain this experience? I guess I'll try: Go out and make journalism awesome. #SixWordStoryMaster




Laura M. Medina
Montini Catholic High School
Lombard, Illinois



3 comments:

  1. Bravo
    I concur
    Thank you all
    #6words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post! It's been a great couple of weeks and while I'm looking forward to home cooked meals, I can't believe it's almost over! Going to miss the learning and networking. We need this! Maybe Steve will let us come back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    GREAT blog! I felt like you too. I even had my doubts about showing up considering that my school year hadn't finished and I had to make so many arrangements.
    But I'm glad I didn't cancel and that I did come.
    Like Corie says we need this!!

    Gabriel Senteno
    San Diego High
    San Diego, Ca.

    ReplyDelete