Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Math....That is all

Yesterday we had a great session that involves much of what I do everyday. I teach math.  I figured that no one would want to blog about math because they hate it so much, but not me.  I was really into this session.  I am privileged that Steven  even thought about something that would motivate me during this intensive training.  I have material that I can actually use to guide my students into finding other angles while thinking of ideas for new stories.  I also appreciated the use of Google to help the students locate information that often time they seem to have such a hard time gathering on their own. 

Steve Doig was a very interesting presenter and I hope Steve continues to have him come back to the institute to speak to journalism teachers about the importance of the math and data.


Doig was absolutely right when he said incorrectly informing the public with false data could ruin the entire story.

Cherita D. Smith
Creative Communications Academy
Chicago, Illinois

1 comment:

  1. Cherita,
    Maybe this math session was really just for you. I got it, but probably not the way that you got it. You can incorporate this into your student journalism at a higher level than I could. Maybe you could even create a new class that is all about math journalism. That would be pretty cool.
    Tracy Anderson
    Community High School
    Ann Arbor, Mich.

    ReplyDelete