Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Evolution Of Newspaper Design




















Taking a moment to look back and analyze newspapers from 1970 and 1982 via PowerPoint, proved we have come a long way baby.Tracy Collins opened his presentation on newspaper design with stepping back in time. We were about to get tools for our journalism tool box.

Black and white newspapers from the 70's  weren't considered drab, that is until 1982, when USA Today came on the scene. USA Today introduced color to the world of print journalism. While this groundbreaking change addressed what many readers wanted and expected, just as many readers opposed the change.  The evolution of newspapers presented itself in more than one way.  Using color was just the beginning. The entire basic design of newspapers was changing. Dog-leg and Dutch wrap text were left behind for the use of modules.  


Since the room full of journalism advisers wanted to learn how to perfect their school newspapers, Collins gave advice about mastering design for print and web. "Typography has to be readable and convey a message," said Collins.  The font type must enhance the message.  From there, Collins shared a resource sheet featuring his 10 commandments of type. 

Commandment six stood out for me. Thou shalt kern every art headline. To kern is to remove portions of space between letters in a word. Before today, I had no idea what it meant to kern.  Now examples of  text without kerning are popping up everywhere.  My colleagues have posted and tweeted several examples of words in need of kerning within hours of the session.  I'm sure I won't forget to kern once I get my newspaper up and running next year. 

Great session. I learned so much.

Silean Eaves
School Without Walls At Francis-Stevens
Washington, D.C.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post. I agree that the typography component was informative and eye-opening. I learned several new words and many concepts of type that I never knew existed! I will be using the handout with my staff this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't believe how different things are from when I started teaching journalism. I seems that if you blink, it all changes again.

    Terry Sheffield
    Roy High School
    Roy, Utah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silean,
    It's amazing how newspapers have changed. I knew some history but it became more and more fascinating as I listened and also Googled.

    Gabriel Senteno
    San Diego High School
    San Diego, Ca.

    ReplyDelete