Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Best Part of Phoenix

Pregnancies,  Curriculum, Movies, TV shows to binge on, Bobby dancing.  Why the hell is there a hot tub in phoenix.  People's drinking.  
You name it, we talked about it.

It had been a long, hot, laborious day in Phoenix: Two morning lectures.  Lunch with our mentor.  And completing and viewing our video projects. 

I was bone-tired and ready to go to bed.

But as I walked back to the hotel, I realized my time was winding down in Phoenix, and I would later regret not spending more time with others. 

“Does anybody want to meet in the lobby tonight,” I asked. 

Dammit, if Ginny and Shannon didn’t say yes.  No bedtime for me.

I hustled to my room, dropped off my belongings and made my way downstairs.

I didn’t have to wait long before down came Shannon, followed by Ginny shortly thereafter.  Pretty soon, a small collection of us had gathered for good conversation and cheap wine.



As I sat in the hotel lobby with my fellow teachers, I realized then how fortunate I was.  When I learned I was accepted into the Reynolds Institute I thought I was the luckiest woman in the world.  I realize I was wrong. Being given the privilege to listen to, learn from, and understand the women of Reynolds Institute has been the best opportunity of my life.


What I take back to Georgia is more than a binder and thumb drive of great ideas.   I take back the relationships I’ve made, the wisdom I’ve gained, and the experiences that I’ve had that I will remember the most.

Becca Hargis
Campbell High School
Smyrna, Georgia

1 comment:

  1. That was really sweet Beca!
    Shelley Job
    Hanover-Horton
    Horton, Michigan

    ReplyDelete