Thursday, June 19, 2014

Lessons in Videography

Between SnapChat and Instagram, I'd like to think I'm competent in taking videos, or what I term as videos - short technological bursts of my niece laughing at something I said or of my favorite song on the radio. But it has been about 11 years since the videography portion of one of my journalism classes during my undergraduate studies. Then, we used huge cameras in a television studio, so the learning wasn't as authentic as it could have been. Completing today's exercises, however, reminded me of the importance of having such skills and of the power that they could have in building the journalism programs and newspaper at my school. (In fact, with the implementation of iPads as the yera begins, I can only imagine the impact that news videos and snippets would have on educating our student body. I feel like there's limitless potential there.) As we were making our way around the a streets of Phoenix, practically busting our way into people's lives, I learned firsthand that taking video isn't easy. It's downright invasive! In my group with Cherita and David S., we cut into the work time of some landscapers, the lunch break of a working man, and the schedule of a bellman all for the sake of our assignment. As uncomfortable as it was, it made our work more genuine while also pointing out - after each interview - that we could all use a refresher course on holding a conversation with a total stranger. But this exercise inspired me to include these activities with my students as they practice I interviewing skills, on or off the camera. Brian Snyder did a great job reminding us that it's a jorunalist's and videographer's job to ask the questions, no matter how nosy you might feel. It's up to the subject to determine what he/she wants to answer and how much is revealed. And having a conversation is the key to capturing a great on-camera moment. I guess that's really more important than how many views and likes I get on my social media videos, right? 

Laura M. Medina
Montini Catholic High School
Lombard, Ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment