Thursday, June 26, 2014

Newspaper Websites

"I don't follow the rules I don't believe in."- Alan Weintraut

Leave it to Alan to encourage us !

When starting a newspaper online, it's important to establish what you will put online. You must develop policies. For the site map, remember what's important goes before the scroll. The URL should be simple and ideally the same as the newspaper. The staff must be organized and follow a schedule. They have to find ways to promote the site. I love how Alan has his kids change the home page of the library computers. This site will have a global audience. It's real journalism. Students should be aware that they should write correctly and use AP style.

I look forward to creating our school online paper/website.
I really like SNO but don't know if my district will be willing to pay. :(

Angela Hobart
Starkville High School

1 comment:

  1. This was such an informative session. I got some really practical ideas from Alan. I liked his comments about not following the rules because as a journalist and especially as an adviser, you have to have enough courage to do what is meaningful and ethical. But I would hate to have a conversation about breaking the rules with my principal.

    Kathryn Wilkins
    Kearns High School
    Kearns, Utah

    ReplyDelete