Thursday, June 26, 2014

Competency, communication, compassion and courage

Employees want bosses who can do his or her job, who openly and clearly communicate, who care about his or her employee's, and who stand firmly for something.

That's simple enough. What isn't so simple is the managing your boss aspect.

My principal and I have no issues. He has known me since I was 14 and I really respect the man.

I have not made it a point to build much of a relationship with him, and I now regret that.

When I get settled into my classroom, I am going to seek him out. I have a laundry list of clarifying questions to ask him, and I genuinely look forward to building a better working relationship with him.

I also think I need to do the same with my assistant principals. With all of the hats that we wear as advisers, it isn't always clear who my boss is.

If you're like me, you probably run around during your prep hours trying to get to different administrators for aspects of a publication that concern to the administrators' various roles and responsibilities. It's exhausting.

Clearly, it doesn't and shouldn't be that way.

Another thing that has to happen is educating my administrative team. Annie - please send out your editorial policy. When I get mine together, I will be sure to clue the administrative team in.

Lastly, I loved the roleplaying. Yes, it made me uncomfortable for the volunteers, but I also learned something from each example.

Krystin Pinckard
Mountain Pointe High School
Phoenix, Arizona




No comments:

Post a Comment