Saturday, June 21, 2014

Schoolhouse Rock And The AP Stylebook



Everyone was engaged in the AP Stylebook session. AP Stylebooks were open, writing pads were removed from book bags and the learning began. Why use a Stylebook?  The answer was simple.  It brings consistency to the writing task.  The session's practice activities gave me time to practice AP style and examine some of the recent changes made in the AP Stylebook.

Knowing how to accurately write directions and abbreviations has always been a challenge for me. I seriously just don’t remember appropriate writing of abbreviations. Having my AP Stylebook and Android dictionary are mandatory resources at my side. I still need practice.  My students still need practice.
During class we looked at a variety of public signs and labels. It was amazing how often simple spelling errors are made and go undetected.   Who would think the word Greek was not capitalized on a sign at Arizona State University? 

One error I come across often in my students' work is the use of lets instead of let's.  Another common error I notice is writers neglecting to capitalize holidays.  I see Christmas, New Year's Eve and Columbus Day often without capitalization.

There’s always going to be a reason for using the AP Stylebook.  Practice makes writing better.

Silean Eaves
School Without Walls At Francis Stevens
Washington, D.C.

3 comments:

  1. Silean,

    If there's a usage or spelling I'm unsure of, the AP Stylebook is my go-to guide. I still make mistakes, but AP style has saved me from embarrassment more than once.

    A difficulty I have experienced as a newspaper adviser is transferring my adoration for AP style to students. I am appreciative of Steve Elliott's AP style exercises on Day 5 of the Reynolds Institute. Along with the Survivor game, I also would like to have my students bring in examples of errors they see in the world around them.

    Maybe my students will never enjoy nerding out about AP style as much as I do, but I certainly think we can have fun trying.

    Ginny Miller
    Tupelo High School
    Tupelo, Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before long I bet students at your school will be channeling their inner Silean Eaves. Thanks for your feedback on this session.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proofreading has always been somewhat of a game to me. I hate seeing errors, but love finding errors. It's rather sick when you think about it. I truly enjoyed this session, although now I'm totally second guessing everything I am writing. IT'S WRONG, IT'S ALL WRONG!

    Jillian Singletary
    Harding Fine Arts Academy
    OKC, OK

    ReplyDelete