Friday, June 20, 2014

Shop-talk


I am not particularly a big fan of baseball, but tonight's experience was awesome! What a fantastic way to end the week. It is nice that we have connected so well as a group. We use our nights to decompress and get to know each other. Inevitably, the conversation always steers back to the reason we are here, our students.

Tonight, at the game, Terry and I were talking about ways to collaborate when we get home (we are in the same district). Kenya made a comment about "shop-talk" and that got me thinking about how we are constantly trying to pick each other's brains, regardless of what is going on around us.

I try not to compare myself to anyone else here, but that is hard. It is hard not to think about how much more I could have done last year to give my students the opportunity for more success. Regardless of our experience, success or background, I think we all are genuinely excited about bringing our new skills and experiences back to share with our students. I love that those of us who are veterans are showing the same amount of enthusiasm for improvement as those of us who are brand new.

My students aren't going to recognize my class when they come back after summer break.

*Cheese-ball moment - I really felt like those fireworks were for us.
Check out the photo-bomb in the back ;D

Kristen Morey
Fremont High School
Ogden, Utah


3 comments:

  1. What great conversations at the game. So many laughs. It's fun seeing the connections form in and out of the classroom.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really amazed to see that a sporting event could be such a good place for dialogue about our practice. It was a really fun time, and all memes of Mr. Rewrite were much-appreciated.

    Bobby Oliver
    San Pasqual High School
    San Diego, California

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think memes of Mr. Rewrite definitely made the day.

    But seriously, I love that we are networking and exchanging ideas no matter where we are or what we do. This is such an amazing group of people with so many different approaches. I feel like my brain is in constant overdrive and I can't wait to take all of this home and revolutionize my classroom.

    Stephanie Floch
    Taylorsville High School
    SLC, Utah

    ReplyDelete