Friday, June 20, 2014

My life as a would-be journalist

Today we took a tour of the Arizona Republic news station. This was nostalgic to me, not because I had ever been a journalist, but because I planned to as a junior in high school. Long story short, my plans got derailed when I became wait-listed for a post-secondary program, which I planned to take as a journalism major.


Moving around the newsroom today it was very interesting looking around at what my life might have been like if I had made the cut and went to journalism school. I imagined myself behind a desk, furiously reading over notes, trying to get my story together for my deadline.

This is where I realized that deadlines is why I was a little relieved that journalism school didn't pan out. I don't like a lot of stress.

Now that I do the yearbook and am constrained by deadlines, however, I realize I am in a way that journalist that I wished to be as a junior, but in a better way. I loved going through my senior year of high school, discovering different avenues that I also moved away from, and landing where I am now. I am extremely blessed to be doing exactly what I'm doing. And it's interesting now to become a little of the journalist I once hoped to be.


Sharon Northington
McCracken County High School
Paducah, Kentucky

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting perspective, Sharon. Every time we visit the Republic newsroom something is very different. This time it was the big board showing website views in real-time and how more and more staffers are becoming personalities of sorts through social media and multimedia (going on camera to explain stories). It's really energizing.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I wrote this blog, Sharon. I started as a journalism major and found that I couldn't deal with calling up total strangers to pester them with questions--it caused me major anxiety. Plus, our campus paper had a hazing initiation that I didn't pass. They assigned me a mundane story about parking policies and intentionally gave me the contact information of a source that they knew was on vacation for a couple of weeks. I dropped my journalism program and entered education. I've always regretted it, though I love my life today. However, I have such a unique opportunity now to play journalist again, and it's even better that I'm a little older, wiser, and less anxious. :)

    Lisa Biber
    Brodhead High School
    Brodhead, Wis.

    ReplyDelete