Friday, June 20, 2014

Time to work on my style

When I first got my AP Stylebook earlier this year, I started reading through it, highlighting words I thought my students might struggle with. I now know I need to be reading it to just read it and understand how things should be formatted for myself. Our game this morning forced me to come to the conclusion that I know nothing about AP style. 

I attempted at the beginning of the semester to incorporate AP style quizzes in my curriculum. I only did one and the response was so all over the place, I didn't know where to go from there. I need to incorporate some type of daily instruction, maybe a bell quiz or something similar in my curriculum for my journalism class. As is the case with all of the other activities we have done this week, I plan on using the game from this morning in my classroom. Approaching this topic with a game that gets people physically moving gives it a fun spin and a new approach, something my students will appreciate as much as I did. It was also very helpful to see that I was not the only adviser in the room who sat down much sooner than we probably should have. Although that doesn't make it okay to not know the AP style guide it definitely helps me not feel inadequate.  

It would take a large amount of time to put together the type of presentation we saw today to distinguish the difference between grizzly and grisly but the result would be worth it. I can already think of several commonly mistake words for which I would like to create presentations. Humor always helps the learning process.

Kristen Morey
Fremont High School
Ogden, Utah

2 comments:

  1. I'll send you home with all of my silly videos. Unfortunately, my creativity peaked with grizzly/grisly. The key to AP style is knowing the core -- ages, numbers, the kinds of things in the quick reference guide -- and gaining a sense of what to look up (hyphens, one word or two, Wal-Mart/Walmart). I've found that making it fun makes it memorable.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making it fun makes it fun to teach too. Thanks for the laughs!

      Delete