Thursday, June 26, 2014


Following the Ten Commandments of Writing
by Cynthia Brown








I thought that I was lucky when I didn't send in a copy of my newspaper for critique.  Tracy Collins was on point with his positive criticism of the good, bad, and ugly problems found in the examples submitted for prior review.  I don't know if I would have had the thick skin to take the brutal facts that he shared with the group.

I saw some exemplary work, and students and facilitators did an amazing job.  What I find to be puzzling is the fact that I did not see what made the "ugly" fit the category.  Yes, there were distinct differences between the exemplary papers and the ones that were not found in the category.  I must admit that this has caused me much concern because I am not sure about the pitfalls that I need to avoid.

I am grateful for SNO!  I know that I can solve most of my problems by investing the resources to ensure that I have a useful template to get the job done.

Developing a journalism program at Woodland High School this year will be complicated by the fact that it will occur after school.  Students will need to work around lacrosse, football, track, and other sports to find time to participate.  This means a lot of creativity will take place to get articles published in a timely manner.

I am also grateful for the ten commandments of good type.  I could have a wonderful template that is destroyed by the wrong font type or size.  This, as with a lot of the information that I have learned over the two weeks will need to be digested.  Luckily, Collins gave us his email address for assistance.


Cynthia Brown
Woodland High School
Stockbridge, Georgia

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, video! Awesome, Cynthia.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete