Thursday, June 26, 2014

What Does Journalism Mean to You?


Thanks to Alan Weintraut, I will be asking my students day one: what does journalism mean to you? This is an activity that will engage them immediately in publishing, recording, and sharing.  The studio/newsroom that was added to my school opened at the end of the last school year.  It has two Macs, a few cameras, a flat screen, and tables.  It is a room with open space that I would like to make comfortable with a couch, beanbags, and a relaxed setting.  I would like to float between the studio and the computer lab giving students flexibility to do other things as long as it is productive and constructive.

  I left the Staff Organization and Management session with a lot of great ideas.  I know it will involve a lot of planning on my part, but at least I feel better equipped to teach this subject during the upcoming school year.  I now have a plan to publish a back-to-school edition and a goal to publish monthly.  This would require my school offering a Newspaper Club.  I'm not sure how this would work with my individual classes that I don't see every day because I have two grade levels, but I would like to add:

  1. a couple of newsstands
  2. student mailboxes
  3. a bookshelf (style books, textbooks, dictionaries, etc.)
  4. a magazine stand
  5. a communication board
  6. an archives area
  7. a suggestion box
  8. a journalism display case
Now I need to write a persuasive letter to my principal requesting all of the above.  I look forward to continuing the partnership with Columbia College and fostering more learning for our students.  I also have someone who is willing to visit the school and offer writing workshops to the students.  This should be a productive school year where the students can really thrive if they are willing to put in the time and effort it takes to be successful in a journalism class.


Kenya Vance
Creative Communications Academy
Calumet City, Illinois


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Kenya. Good luck with this as well as your upcoming nuptials.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep us updated on it! I think we all have lab-envy over Alan's classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep plugging away…took me 10 years to get a lab going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kenya, I am with you on this. Making our labs a place where students want to hang out is a great start. I also need to get a couple "creature comforts" to get my kids to spend a little bit more time in my room and your list looks just like mine (especially the bean bags). Alan's lab was great, for Alan's staff. Your lab will be great for your staff. My thought on asking the kids what journalism means to them: The newbs will probably need a bit of guidance before they give inspirational answers, but your staff should be able to answer that question pretty quick. I am also excited to ask my kids that same question. Thank you for you contributions to this institute Kenya. I am so glad that I met you, and I am excited to collaborate with you and all of the rest of our fellows!
    Kristen Morey
    Fremont High School
    Ogden, Utah

    ReplyDelete